A database is a structured collection of data. To add, access, and perform operations on data, we need a database management system. MySQL is most popular and widely used Open Source Relational Database Management System.
Open Source means it is absolutely free to download and use. Relational Database means data can be store in multiple tables and all tables can be relate with each other.
MySQL is developed, distributed, and supported by Oracle Corporation and written in C and C++ languages. Currently, MySQL is most commonly use with PHP programming language. But it also supports well with other programming languages like-Java, Perl, .Net, Python, C, C++.
Features and Characteristics of MySQL
- MySQL is very lightweight. It can run on many different platforms without failure even in low powered PC.
- MySQL is successfully tested on broad range of different compilers.
- MySQL performs well on multiple CPUs as it is developed to be fully multi-threaded using Kernal Thread.
- It runs very fast as it has very fast thread based memory allocation system.
- It is very secure, password protected. We can not access it's administration without login.
- It supports small and large database, so it is used in small and large applications.
- This is available in both GPL(GNU General Public License) and Commercial license version. If we want it for commercial application then we can purchase it's commercial license version.
- It provides privilege and password system that is very flexible and secure. It provides password security by encryption of all password.