Python is a high level general purpose open source programming language. It is both object oriented and procedural. Python is an extremely powerful language. This language is very easy to learn and is a good choice for most of the professional programmers.
It is binding of C, C++ and Java. It also provides a library for GUI.
Python Features and Characteristics
- Python is a high level programming language.
- It is object oriented, procedural and functional.
- It has library to support GUI.
- It is extremely powerful and easy to learn.
- It is open source, so free to available for everyone.
- It supports on Windows, Linux, Mac OS.
- As code is directly compiled with byte code, python is suitable for use in scripting languages.
- Python enables us to write clear, logical applications for small and large tasks.
- It has high level built-in data types: string, lists, dictionaries etc.
- It plays well with Java because of Jython. Jython is a version of Python.
- It encourages us to write clear and well structured code.
- We can easily use Python with other languages. It has different varieties of languages - Like -
- CPython - Python implemented in C.
- Jython - Python implemented in Java Environment.
- PyPy - Python with JIT compiler and stackless mode.
- IronPython - Python for .Net and CLR.
Corporate users of Python - Google, Yahoo, CERN, NASA, Industrial Light & Magic.